[TYPO3-core] RFC #14490: New Backend design

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Thu May 27 10:51:10 CEST 2010

>> -1 for CSS3 stuff, because the least common denominator supported by
>> TYPO3 is still IE6
>
> This is actually an interesting question. Do we still support MSIE6 in
> TYPO3 Backend?

According to the RM we do.

Just a copy from a discussion in the Backend Code Cleanup team:

<quote>
T3 as a large enterprise solution would still do good to support it.
(Whereas me, as a developer, would love to just jump over the small hacks
still needed for it)

Exactly this is the reason, why we currently have no choice but keeping it.
There are still lots of those enterprises outthere, that are working on pre
WinXP systems. BUT - the official support for Windows 2000 will end at July,
13th 2010, which is why I thought that we could officially drop IE6 support
in TYPO3 4.5 but not 4.4.

But this depends on how many people are still using IE6 on XP as well
without ever updating to IE7 or IE8. According to W3schools browser
statistics, the current market share of IE6 is still higher than that of
Safari and Opera together (! - both of them supported by TYPO3). This is not
taking into account all the umpteen thousands of Windows based systems that
are running in intranets only, which is one of the major playgrounds for
TYPO3. But the market share of W2K systems is just 0.5%, so I guess most of
the IE6 users will come from XP based systems. This again means, we will
have to wait until Windows XP support officially ends, which will be April,
8th 2014!
</quote>

Yesterday I have been talking with a client about a project we have to
realize for a subdivision of a big German car manufacturer. Most of the
users there are bound to IE6 there and some still just got IE5.

So IMHO: Yes, we still do support IE6.

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de