[TYPO3-core] RFC #14490: New Backend design

Franz Koch typo3.RemoveForMessage at elements-net.de
Thu May 27 09:09:48 CEST 2010

Hey,

>> * Uses modern techniques like CSS3 gradients, multiple backgrounds,
>> data-uris, etc.
>>    Fallback definitions have to defined during RCs as soon we can
>> destinguish between browsers
>
> Why use data uris, gradients and other CSS3 stuff at all when we need to
> define the fallback solution for IE anyway? Especially data uris are
> extremely ugly IMHO, additionally for gradients we need to use
> non-standard browser specific notations (so we have to actively manage 4
> CSS commands for 1 gradient [webkit, mozilla, CSS3 default, background
> image for IE]). I think that's overhead that is not necessary.

I think they try to reduce the total requests - but CSS sprites should
already give a huge benefit. And if background-gradients are also merged
into one sprite background file (as far as possible for horz. repeating
gradients with limited height) it should be sufficient. So I'm also in
favor of dropping fancy CSS3 stuff in order to ease up that stuff.

--
kind regards,
Franz Koch