[TYPO3-core] RFC #14442: Backend lacks a clean way for CSS browser conditions

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Thu May 20 15:44:29 CEST 2010

> Then we have to tell the HCI team / designer, that this simply means:
> Stick to the stuff IE6 can do!
> You want a gradient? - Use a background-image, since this is the only
> way IE6 AND any other supported browser will show a gradient.

Just to clarify this: According to a wikipedia article data URLs have
certain disadvantages

1) Data URIs are not separately cached from their containing documents (e.g.
CSS or HTML files) so data is downloaded every time the containing documents
are redownloaded.

2) Content must be re-encoded and re-embedded every time a change is made.

3) Internet Explorer through version 7 (approximately 35% of the market as
of February 2010), lacks support.

4) Internet Explorer 8 limits data URIs to a maximum length of 32 KB.

5) Data is included as a simple stream, and many processing environments
(such as web browsers) may not
support using containers (such as multipart/alternative or message/rfc822)
to provide greater complexity such as metadata, data compression, or content
negotiation.

6) Base64-encoded data URIs are 1/3 larger in size than their binary
equivalent. This overhead is reduced to 2-3% if the HTTP server compresses
the response using HTTP's Content-Encoding header.

7) Data URIs make it more difficult for security software to filter content.

Especially 4 and 5 make them a no go for the current TYPO3 BE, since we
officially support IE6.

And to get back to the original argument foir data URIs: I don't see why
there should be hundreds of shadow files to be loaded, when most of the
shadows are looking quite similar or equal. Just a few of them should be
enough - we could even use a kind of sprite containing all of them, since
IE6 does support background positioning.

Just my 7 cents

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de