[TYPO3-core] RFC #14348: Fix some link targets in the Install Tool

Patrick Broens patrick at netcreators.com
Tue May 11 08:41:08 CEST 2010

On 10-5-2010 18:05, Steffen Kamper wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Susanne Moog schrieb:
>> On 10.05.2010 17:21, Lars Houmark wrote:
>>> So, do you have some JS code (which you used before) to accomplish this?

>>> And with that I can only respond; Please keep a working (and user
>>> friendly) TYPO3 installation in mind.
>>
>> I actually hate target attributes, because I want to choose myself how
>> links open. I expect all links to open in the current window, except
>> those I open with "open in new tab" or "open in new window". Especially
>> in the install tool where most people will likely be experienced
>> computer users I don't think target attributes are really necessary.
>>

> but the reason is clear - if you didn't saved your changes they will get
> lost as soon as you click on one of these urls. This is the purpose of
> this RFC, and this will surely match to unexperienced users. So why
> bother them with such behaviour.
>
> Doctype is correct, but using transitional would solve that without
> loosing valide html.
With Javascript you can get the same without hiding the actual
validation error with a transitional doctype

> What is more important: userfriendly interface or nice looking xhtml
> strict html source?
I'm still in favor of a strict xhtml source for new markup. Using a
transitional doctype only hides the errors, and still does not solve it.
W3C states there is NO target attribute in XHTML, only in the XHTML
abstract module.