[TYPO3-core] RFC #5500: Feature: Load Inline Elements On Demand

Lars Houmark lars at houmark.com
Thu Mar 25 12:19:59 CET 2010

> Using the mtime ist pretty smart, because it will lead to an automated
> update. I don't see a usecase where you don't want to inform the browser
> about the new files whenever they have change.
>
> I your link, the version number is increase manually, in Lars suggestion,
> it is automated, because it relies on the last "modified time". This will
> create unique versions too.
> Of course this would slow down down rendering a little, maybe this could
> be configurable (relay on debug flag?).

A combination of a far-future header for CSS and JS files with this
approach is a very safe way of having caching done when liked, and
client update of the files when needed.

Even though there has been discussions around the net on the
stylesheet.css?mtime-timestamp approach for caching, I personally
believe this is allowing caching in all major browsers. I have also
done testing in major browsers some time ago, when we implemented this
method in a backend system (not TYPO3) where this method is running
just nice since then. No clients with broken features because of the
lack of cache clearing.

Some means the W3C standard is not allowing caching of these filetypes
with a parameter, but the solution for this could be a simple .htaccess
regex with the timestamp as a part of the filename, like
stylesheet.1269441180.css but the file will still be named
stylesheet.css and requested as such. This way is 100% safe and working
according to W3C standards, but it requires the use of .htaccess which
should be no problem for TYPO3 though.

I know, this discussion should go to the dev list, so if others feel it
is time for having this method implemented for the backend in order to
ensure correct caching and correct client updating of CSS and JS files,
I will start a new thread there to get an agreement of the solution we
should go with and also try to achieve a RFC for this list later on.

Sorry for hijacking this one, as a compensation I will do testing and
give feedback later today ;)

--
Lars Houmark