[TYPO3-core] RFC #14919: New feature: Better charset transformation by adding autodetection

Ralf Büchner rb at halbach-media.de
Wed Jun 30 09:57:59 CEST 2010

Hi Steffen,

my response to you question:
 // * it modifies the value of $TYPO3_CONF_VARS settings
 // * it's called for every call of substr()

I intended overwriting the $TYPO3_CONF_VARS so that the detected version
could be used in extensions too. (I' don't know if the variable will be used
by any extension - so overwriting wouldn't break anything and it's also
available over the whole system plus extensions - not only in this class)

Also overwriting definitely changes the auto value to some other at first
run to something like 'mbstring', and detection will only trigger with value
'auto'. So detection should never be executed twice.

If this class is always used as an instance then the construction
interceptor would do fine. (Don't know for sure)

What do you think about these possible solutions:
#1 Remove these two config options and always use autodetection. And if any
problem occurs - use 4.5 beta? - fix problems and use therefore less config
variables.

OR

#2 combine these settings into one - as autodetection would assign same
value for two different variables - that's superfluous

OR

#3 detect server features within install-tool and recommnend - which is now
mostly done in a static way using conf-files - I also have some more ideas
about better out-of-box enhancements which could be done inside install
tool. Beside the already changed skin and underlying scripts.

The only reason to override this behaviour - imho - is that default
behaviour won't work and/or a better solution is available. Both issues
could be solved and automated.

@steffen: patch worked - no problem occurred on my testing environment

So which solution would you prefer? Then I will work out another patch. Or
do you have any better ideas?

User Qitec