[TYPO3-core] RFC #14729: Backwards compatibility brocken by disabled deprecation log

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Thu Jun 17 15:09:12 CEST 2010

Hi Patrick,

> Having an invisible log doesn't bring anything. Until 4.5 and a future
> patch, I consider the way the log is acting as buggy. Really.
>
> Bug #1: It's hidden
> Bug #2: There's no size limit to it.
>
> One solution against monster logs (and that's what I'm trying to avoid)
> would be to have the log limit itself in size. Let's say 1 MB max.

Good idea! Since this is a bugfix it can follow even after the feature
freeze. I hope Benni agrees on this.

> Then I would call Bug #1 a UX bug.

Why this? It would be nice to have it of course, but it's not
neccessary. There is also no interface for the syslog feature, is there?

> The current situation could generate a 5 GB file in few weeks for people
> unaware of the existence of the log...

The status message will at least warn the user about this.

>> A lot of enterprises still value backwards compatibility more than
>> performance as hardware is cheap and performance can be increased by
>> many means.
>
> The log *itself* doesn't bring or increase compatibility.

I prefer the viewpoint that we can't remove a feature before we are sure
that everybody has been made aware about it. The increase of
compatibility is just a consequence to this.

> Ingo, I will not run at you throwing rocks. I respect the job you did
> for TYPO3 as a whole. I just disagree for this single feature. I will
> not comment anymore on this precise subject. If the logs gets back by
> default I will work with it and survive.

Nice statement :-) I hope everyone else will see it similar like you.

Greetings, Michael