[TYPO3-core] RFC #14729: Backwards compatibility brocken by disabled deprecation log

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Tue Jun 15 21:23:21 CEST 2010

Hi,

> I see it like this: You and all the admins out there are responsible for
> turning off deprecation log in production environments. We as the core
> team are responsible to not let people run into unexpected crashes we
> can avoid.

I agree with this. In my eyes the issue is rather that we may not have
communicated enough about the deprecation log. We should probably have
written about it on buzz.typo3.org for example or somehow made it more
visible. I guess it has made enough noise by now that most people should
be aware of it.

> I have a patch here which will be one of the first for 4.5 that will do
> regular status report checks using the scheduler and send emails once
> something turns yellow. So there will definitely be more prominent
> notifications about a full deprecation log. However, it won't make it
> for 4.4 anymore.

Sounds very good. I still wish we had some way to display the warnings
from the status report somewhere fixed in the BE, like the top bar, but
IIRC no agreement was ever reached on that, so it never happened.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter