[TYPO3-core] RFC #14729: Backwards compatibility brocken by disabled deprecation log

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Tue Jun 15 20:54:09 CEST 2010

Patrick Gaumond wrote:

Dear Patrick,

> So I would say +1 for the report itself (and maybe lower the triggers to
> 1MB and 10MB for error status), BUT -1 for enabling Deprecation Log in
> official releases as long as Reports Module is a bit more "in your face"
> before introducing functions that slow down TYPO3 by default.

I see it like this: You and all the admins out there are responsible for
turning off deprecation log in production environments. We as the core
team are responsible to not let people run into unexpected crashes we
can avoid.

A lot of enterprises still value backwards compatibility more than
performance as hardware is cheap and performance can be increased by
many means.

Also, are you the one going to answer people's questions once 4.6 is out
in a year from now? Why there installation is not working anymore? Are
you going to keeping the bugtracker clean then when their installations
crash because they have extensions installed that use deprecated APIs
which they didn't notice? Also by disabling the deprecation log
developers who are new to TYPO3 may step into the same trap and blame it
on us core developers. What if TYPO3 gains a reputation of being crashy,
people stopping using it and some people loosing their jobs. I wouldn't
be very happy with that.

The deprecation log may be a little annoying thing for us here in the
inner circle, but we must act responsible for all the users out there.

I have a patch here which will be one of the first for 4.5 that will do
regular status report checks using the scheduler and send emails once
something turns yellow. So there will definitely be more prominent
notifications about a full deprecation log. However, it won't make it
for 4.4 anymore.

Either way I (and probably the core team, too) don't wanna be blamed for
breaking installations and as mentioned before admins are responsible to
turn the log off when going live.

In the end it's in the interest of quality.

best
Ingo

--
Ingo Renner