[TYPO3-core] RFC #14711: Feature: Add XCLASS to class.t3lib_iconworks.php for developing alternative backend-skins

Stephan N Kellermayr stephan.kellermayr at t3x.at
Sun Jun 13 13:23:06 CEST 2010

Steffen Ritter schrieb:
> Am 13.06.2010 12:49, schrieb Stephan N Kellermayr:
>> this is an SVN patch request.
>>
>> type: feature
>>
>> bugtracker references:
>> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=14711
>>
>> branches:
>> trunk, current branch
>>
>> problem:
>> at the moment there is no possibility to extend the class
>> 't3lib_iconworks', which is very bad for redesigning the backend,
>> because you stuck on the implemented functions which handles the sprites
>> and icons.
>
> what "does not work"? the functions just produce css classes...
> All about sprites and css is your own stuff

thats exactly the problem: the way how the css-classes are generated is
NOT ok ...in my opinion.
i tried to give a perspective on how the icons could look like and how
the states could be visualized with 't3xskin'.

the most important part is, to avoid overlays for 'hidden', because it
consumes to much space on 16x16 pixel, and the visualization of
timing-options and restrictions could also be solved in a revealing way.

>> there are so many possibilities to handle those icons, and to stay
>> flexible in visualization, there should also be the possibility to
>> implement other ways of icon-handling or extend the functionallity of
>> the current sprite-concept.
>
> the sprite concept is present in t3skin and is upon skin, so you have
> fully flexibility
>
>> or is there a convincing reason why this class cannot be extended?
>
> -1 as it makes no sense like the others pointed out and -1 as I see no
> restritions you'll get from the implementations

IF you think, that t3skin is the only way how TYPO3 could look like,
then you are right.

best regards, Stephan