[TYPO3-core] RFC 15286 : Feature: Deactivating the cache menu for admins

Helmut Hummel helmut at typo3.org
Sat Jul 31 11:40:59 CEST 2010

Hi,

On 30.07.10 23:26, Dmitry Dulepov wrote:

> I thought for a long time about this RFC and I vote -1.

I also thought (again) a lot of it and tend to give a +1 to parts of
this RFC (reverting my -1 given before).

> Here is my reasons:
> - "admins are unlimited" is a fundamental concept in TYPO3.
> Admin can do
> anything and this is why (s)he is admin. That's the purpose of this user:
> (s)he is NOT limited in anything. This RFC breaks the concept.

As written earlier, this is a questionable concept, not only security
wise but also usability wise. I will argue about the usability part in
the following:

With #10642 integrated in the core (I stumbled over this while thinking
about this issue) an admin can now perform _recursive_ deletes in the
filelist module, and he or she no way to choose that you do not want to
be able to do this.

For me this was never an option hindering the admin deleting the
complete filetree for security reason, but hindering him or her doing it
by _accident_ and I _never_ checked the recursive delete option in my
admin accounts.

Same goes for the clear cache menu. Why not having the _option_ for
simply hiding it, not do deny access for it. Then it cannot "accidently"
beeing used (as also Susanne pointed out).

Btw. in current versions an admin still cannot delete pages recurively,
until he or she checks the option in the user settings.

So (now) I read this RFC as a possiblity to customise the user
interface, which is usefull also for admins.

Thus I would give my +1 to the user interface part of this RFC, but not
the TCEmain part (which I still think makes limited sense, at least not
for now).
Of course then a different name for the option has to be chosen.

> If you'd like to argue with my points, please, don't :) I did not write
> this to argue.

Uh, well, wasn't it you who claimed for an "open spirit"? Not really
open, if we cannot argue your points, is it? (no offence taken, nor
meant, just SCNR)

> Think of it, please :)

done :)

Regards Helmut