[TYPO3-core] RFC 15286 : Feature: Deactivating the cache menu for admins

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Fri Jul 30 23:26:21 CEST 2010

Hi!

Steffen Kamper wrote:
> I attached a very simple extension allow disabling each entry of the
> cache menu in extConf. You also may hide the complete menu.

This is what I wanted to do to: write a simple demo extension like that... :)

* * *

I thought for a long time about this RFC and I vote -1. Here is my reasons:
- "admins are unlimited" is a fundamental concept in TYPO3. Admin can do
anything and this is why (s)he is admin. That's the purpose of this user:
(s)he is NOT limited in anything. This RFC breaks the concept.
- if you need that in a single project, make it an extension. Having a
particular non–general problem in one project is not a reason to change the
core. But it is a perfect reason to make an extension! Being modular is a
right thing. Just provide your functionality as an extension and anybody
who needs it can use it. Those people will say thanks to you for this
extension. And you will save some parsing time for the rest of us. There
are only advantages to have it as an extension.

If you'd like to argue with my points, please, don't :) I did not write
this to argue. I strongly believe that not everything should be in the core
(especially if it is important for one project only). The power of
extensions is that you can add the functionality when you need instead
having it unused for most of the time. And this power is great.

Think of it, please :)

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core&security team member