[TYPO3-core] RFC#15122: Bug: Icons for users in page tree are inconsistent

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Mon Jul 26 13:11:04 CEST 2010

Steffen Kamper wrote:
> at design meeting we came to a different conclusion: if somthing is
> inherited to subpages, the line color of the tree should change to
> indicate this.

Bad decision! For obvious reasons [1] a meaning should not be expressed
only by colour. This is one of the reasons that icons for 'forbidden',
etc. are not only red dots, but include a symbol. The same rule is
included in web accessibility guidelines for the styling of links.

>> Can we do something else, like increasing user's overlayed icon? I almost
>> hear editors saying "what's that small bug on the page icon?"...
> indeed the small area is not easy to identify. It even gets harder if a
> page has many indicators like shortcut, user, hidden etc.
> Jens wanted to come with a solution, but didn't happened yet.

It is a problem with only 216 pixels, which must include an icon and
several tiny overlays. Too many overlays make the base icon virtually
invisible.

"Page currently being edited" already uses an extra icon next to the
page icon. This is an option, provided that the extra icon is not as
'visible' as the page icon (the page icon should catch the attention).

Line style could be adjusted (dotted, dashed, solid, double,
double-dotted, etc.), but this is pretty bad as well because it's not
very obvious to see the meaning.

Little icons on the lines could be used (on the first vertical part).
Combinations of several properties clutter the view.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness

--
Jigal van Hemert
skype:jigal.van.hemert