[TYPO3-core] RFC #11221 : Feature : Separate firstname and lastname columns in fe_users table

Vladimir Podkovanov admin at sitesfactory.ru
Sat Jan 30 14:47:57 CET 2010

Benjamin Mack wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> not so fast... :)
>
> I have another idea. So basically I really dislike having this fe_users
> table bloating up. The next one comes up with a new field that *should*
> be there etc. We know the story...
>
> Anyways, I propose to:
>
>  * Revert this commit
>  * Create a extension in the TER called "feuserextended" that could
> become an A-Class Extension[1] and that adds all the necessary fields.
>
> Why bloating the Core with this stuff? The Core should stay small and
> flexible, and if we have a good extension that's a quasi-standard, we'll
> see which one could eventually be merged in the core (4.6 or so?).
>
> What do you think?
>
> All the best,
> Benni.

+ 1 for moving all extra fields to separate extension. It makes sense as
all fields from fe_users table being read on every request to the site.
So slim table will shorten access time, also the less fields the more
records could be placed into SQL cache.

Though I think it could be new RFC and not reverting.

--
-rgds-
Vladimir