[TYPO3-core] RFC #13354: Reorganization of CSS stylesheets and icons within the Core.

Steffen Gebert steffen at steffen-gebert.de
Thu Jan 28 09:39:05 CET 2010

Hi all!

I think we will internally discuss the patch and may be split it up, to
only reorganize the stylesheets.
Will discuss this with Fabien.

> (!!!) For the record: t3lib_iconWorks::skinIng($GLOBALS['BACK_PATH',
> 'gfx/c_wiz/multimedia.gif') must still work after this patch. If no,
> this patch is no go because it will break tons of extensions that use
> this function to get icons from typo3/gfx/ and its subfolders.
Yes, we should only deprecate it (calling skinImg with sth. from gfx/).
Removing was our first apporach @UXW, but of course this can't be done for
4.4

> It is a bad idea to generate anything :( It takes time and TYPO3 is not
> really fast. Slowing it done would be a very bad thing to do.
>
> Why can't sprites be included as static files?

We had few discussions about this already. How the build should be done,
and when it should be rebuilt.
One apporach (my favour) would be to have a kind of BE-cache (also needed
for the merged/compressed CSS/JS), by which you can trigger a rebuild. But
generation should be done automatically by TYPO3's magic. For the first
instance, removing some files in typo3temp/ could suffice as "cache
clearing".

If there's still need for discussing the sprites, please continue on the
dev list.

Steffen