[TYPO3-core] RFC #11221 : Feature : Separate firstname and lastname columns in fe_users table

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Sat Jan 23 11:26:42 CET 2010

> i have the feeling we drift off, as many posts comes with new
> suggestions.
>
> Imho core only should give a simple set of fields that fits most
> common needs. All specifications should be done by extensions which
> add fields and configuration.
> The RFC with first/[middle]/last name fits common needs and we
> shouldn't add to much more. Ok, gender is a very useful addition, but
> company/organisation/specification etc. should be done by custom
> extension.
>
> So in my opinion v6 is the last state with most votes and should be go
> in. Gender addition should be another RFC.

IMHO nothing should go in - it's should be just vice versa, and we should
*remove* fields from the fe_users table instead of constantly bloating it.

Reason: You need these fields for different tables, since they are relevant
for any kind of record that is related to a real person. A person maybe more
than just a frontend user, so you will have to update the data in different
places again and again.

Solution: Remove the fields from fe_users, create a new table named persons
and use relations to all the tables that are depending on personal data. If
we'd do it with MM relations we could even add information about the
relation itself to the MM records.

After all we are talking about a relational database and IMHO this is what
it has been made for.
And basically this is part of the things I had in mind, when I started brain
storming about this one:
http://forge.typo3.org/projects/show/extension-scotty

Since we are talking about a new version (4.4) anyway, we should not miss
the chance to introduce proper relations.

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de
Twitter: http://twitter.com/bunnyfield