[TYPO3-core] RFC #11221 : Feature : Separate firstname and lastname columns in fe_users table

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov+t3ml at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 11:36:09 CET 2010

Hi!

On 2010-01-21 12:00:01 +0200, Benjamin Mack said:
> well, my problem is that, like in tt_address, we now have a superflous
> field, "name". It confuses people where to write the name in there, in
> "name" or in "last_name"? How about only having
>
>   * name (which usually is used for the last name and also could hold
> the combined name for backwards compatibility)
>   * the new field "first_name" (in a palette to "name")
>   * the new field "middle_name" (in the same palette)

I cannot say that old field is used for the last name only... I saw it
used for "Firstname Lastname".

I prefer freedom in this case:
- have a combined "name" field
- have separate fields for first, middle and last names for
applications that need them

Having "name" for "last name" causes confusion because "name" is not
the same as "last name".

--
Dmitry Dulepov
"Trust me, I am a doctor!" (c) Gregory House, M.D.