[TYPO3-core] RFC #5779: Hide dotfiles such as .svn in filelists

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at kraftb.at
Mon Jan 4 18:54:08 CET 2010

Steffen Kamper schrieb:

> hidden files are never usable (with some very very rare exceptions).
> The only one you ever need is the .htaccess
>
> So - simply hide all hidden files except .htaccess for ever, no
> checkbox, no setting.

Then one question arises which was already a problem when this patch was
posted more than a year ago:

What should happen if you delete a directory which contains hidden files
(so any hidden file except .htaccess). Two options:

* Inform the editor there are hidden files so he can't delete the directory.
* Delete the directory ignoring the hidden files/subdirs

Generally speaking this is a bit of a problem. As normal Unix user if you
do an "rm somedir" and there are still (hidden) files in the directory you
can chdir to it and remove them. If there are hidden files you still can do
an "ls -la" - so showing also hidden files is not very rare in my opinion).

As a reminder: The whole problem arose by requiring a way to hide ".svn"
directories which can be found quite ofen in the fileadmin if agencies use
SVN to work on their templates/css/typoscript.

Someone mentioned svn/CVS direcotries should not get deployed to a public
webspace, and agencies should not work directly on there server. I had a
situation, where all development was done on a dev-server, and a
SVN-Extension (fdfx_svn) was used to pull the newest version from the SVN
to the live-server. This is some common practice AFAIK.

greets,
Bernhard