[TYPO3-core] RFC #13379: Sprite Icon API

Benjamin Mack benni at typo3.org
Fri Feb 26 11:55:47 CET 2010

Hey Thomas,

very impressive, I finally gave it a run with the patches in the BT,
really cool.

Another review on your v3 patch, which is way better than the first one.

My remarks:

  * How about putting the "iconDefaultOptions" and everything that is
part of that in $TBE_STYLES, instead of $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['BE']?

  * getSpriteIcon => as Olly stated, the overrideOptions should be array
only, let's introduce a stable API with clear parameters.

  * Only by reading the source code in t3lib_iconWorks, it's quite
difficult for me to understand what's going on. Maybe it'd be good to
have more examples in the comment header. An example:
"getFileIconString($path, $fileExtension = NULL);"
  -- should this be part of the "public API", if not, then try to make
it protected, or mark it as internal.
  -- $fileExtension in the common sense would be ".jpg", but I think you
mean something else with it.
  -- Comment "Generates the spriteiconname for a given path" is kind of
confusing for me. If I'd see a comment like:

Fetches the sprite icon name ("icons-apps-filetree") from a given path
(for example: "apps/filetree"), which is found in
t3lib_iconWorks::fileIconClasses.

I could understand immediately what the method does.

Could you please update this a bit further?

Thanks.
Benni.