[TYPO3-core] RFC #13379: Sprite Icon API

Benjamin Mack benni at typo3.org
Sat Feb 20 14:38:18 CET 2010

Hi Thomas,

here is my first review:

  * Like Olly, I don't know about the $pass parameter, we should have
something else and a better logic. Both of us couldn't really figure out
what the goal of this parameter is...

  * I want to see the "overlay" part as an option in the
$overrideOptions, something like $overrideOptions['overlay'] =
'overlay-page-...' makes much more sense to have less "magic" in that
first string.

Could you please update your patch accordingly?

After reading all the posts in the dev list about the sprite generation:

  * First, yes, we need a sprite with all the base icons already
available in the TYPO3 Core, however there should be an easy mechanism
for our devs to create this sprite. This sprite can be overridden of
course by an extension, no question
  * Every skin brings his own sprite (or sprites)
  * And we have a mechanism to generate sprites from a specific
directory structure in icons. This mechanism can be first triggered
manually either from Extdeveval or the TYPO3 core.

What I really want is a module (we could put this in one of the admin
modules) that shows all available names and icons (to see if they work)
that are "loaded" in the TYPO3 installation. There could be a button to
regenerate all of them.

Thanks for all your works!

All the best,
Benni.