[TYPO3-core] RFC #16656 : bug : ImageMagick does not work with quotes in exec() path on Windows

Jeff Segars jsegars at alumni.rice.edu
Fri Dec 17 18:18:33 CET 2010

On 12/14/10 1:23 AM, Jigal van Hemert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a SVN patch request.
>
> Type: Bugfix
>
> BT reference: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=16656
>
> Branches: trunk / 4.4
>
> Problem:
> If the following conditions are met
> - OS is Windows
> - PHP version is below 5.3
> - more than two double quotes are present in the command
> a call to a command line function such as exec() will fail due to a bug
> in the way PHP calls the command line processor. PHP 5.2 will not
> receive any updates anymore, so this bug will not be solved in PHP.
>
> Solution:
> Three workarounds are possible:
> - use "short path" names (aka DOS 8.3 names), but these are not active
> in all Windows installations
> - put the command in a .bat file and execute that file
> - put a dummy command in front of the actual command (e.g. c: & ----- )
>
> The least intrusive solution is the last one, because we won't have to
> take care about cleaning up the .bat files.
>
> Notes:
> I will look into a solution for the Install Tool too.

Hey Jigal,
I guess technically this bug could occur anywhere that exec() is used
but its just the case that we only see it in image processing right now?

Adding a wrapper for exec() would fix it everywhere (in the theoretical
cases we haven't seen), but would expand the scope of the patch so I'm
not sure if its worth it or not.  What do you think?

Thanks!
Jeff