[TYPO3-core] RFC #16591 The new Swift Mailer should be used by TYPO3 for sending all kinds of mail

Jeff Segars jsegars at alumni.rice.edu
Wed Dec 1 16:20:43 CET 2010

On 12/1/10 12:28 AM, Jigal van Hemert wrote:
> It's less useful than it seems. In windows you can't really undo
> escapeshellarg() because it changes '%' into a space character.
> I interpreted the name as "un-escapeshellarg" hence the capital 'E' :-)

 From an English perspective, unescape would be perfectly acceptable.
Not a big deal either way though :)

>> * And my last question is a big picture conceptual one. It seems a
>> little bit funny that t3lib_utilityMail::mail() calls a hook or falls
>> back to the built-in mail() function when the core will always be
>> setting the hook. Would it make more sense to call the new sendMail()
>> function directly in the else case of t3lib_utilityMail::mail()
>
> Please provide a patch!
> This was the easiest way to catch all calls to
> t3lib_utility_Mail::mail() and handle them with Swift Mailer. Also those
> done by (system) extensions are handled now.
>
> Together with Ernesto's mbox transport you can now catch any mails sent
> by TYPO3 (except those which call PHP mail() directly or have their own
> SMTP routines) and prevent them from being actually sent.
>
> It would be nice to trace the t3lib_utility_Mail::mail() calls and use
> Swift Mailer directly. This will take some labour because the code
> creates its own mail headers, uses invalid sender addresses, etc.
>
> Thanks for the review!

As Ernesto mentioned, I was just referring to the else case that is now
dead and wondering whether it would be better to call Swift Mailer
directly there instead of using the hook. Doesn't have to happen now and
could certainly be in a later version.

Thanks for committing!