[TYPO3-core] RFC: #15573: Disable deprecation log in config_default

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Tue Aug 31 13:49:10 CEST 2010

Hi!

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
> Hi Dmitry, thanks for re-initiating the discussion, but it was already
> agreed that:
>
> - deprecation log is important also in production, as you are made aware
> of stuff that might break on further upgrades. This is as important to
> developers as to admins that only have the job to "upgrade the site".

Ernesto, you work in a TYPO3 company. Answer me truly, please: how often do
people in your company look into the deprecation log? This answer will
clarify a lot ;)

> - deprecation log is the only meaningful way to *really* remove stuff
> two versions after it was announced, as nobody can then come and say "oh
> sh*, nobody told me this was going to break!!".

How exactly do you use for removing functions? How often do you personally
examine this log? I can tell for myself: never. And I am coding for TYPO3
at least 32 hours a week.

> - so we won't change the default setting to "0" even on production
> sites, because that logging makes even more sense on production.

I disagree. As far as I know, big companies turn it off immediately in
their internal TYPO3 versions. Smaller companies and freelancers are simply
unaware of the this log and has no use for it. Therefore they got more and
more space lost for nothing.

> - the main problem is that the log might grow very quickly, and this is
> a technical problem. In a previous post, I suggested to improve the
> existing solution, either having typo3 rotate the deprecation log or
> maybe skip logging of lines that have been logged before (just log
> unique ocurrences once per day for example). Just some thoughts to keep
> that useful tool but avoid the "flooding" on upgrades.

I think the main problem with this log is not its size. I think the main
problem is that it was made by developers for developers and now developers
refuse to admit that they are not the majority who uses TYPO3 :) It is
quite common for developers to feel themselves at the center of the world
and think that their favorite logs, debug messages and tools are used by
everybody. So sdad that it is not true... :)

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core&security team member