[TYPO3-core] RFC: #15573: Disable deprecation log in config_default

Reinhard Führicht rf at typoheads.at
Fri Aug 27 12:22:50 CEST 2010

Hi Georg!

Am 2010-08-27 12:14, schrieb Georg Ringer:
> Am 27.08.2010 11:54, schrieb Reinhard Führicht:
>> - If it is a third party extension one can try to contact the author.
>> You know yourself how difficult this is sometimes to reach someone and
>> to make him fix something.
>
> Still it is better to know that there is an issue which needs to be
> taken care of instead of not knowing. It also gives you the chance of
> using a search engine, fix it yourself or ask someone else.

Of course, it is cool to be informed about deprecation warnings. No
question about that. But I dislike the fact that TYPO3 is shipped in
"debug mode". That's just not right.

>> - If it is your own extension you probably know how to use a devlog
>> extension and it would be more convenient to do deprecation logging there.
>
> Deprecation log is the first place I am looking

That may be true in your case. :-)

>> Normal users may not even be aware of the fact that a deprecation log
>> exists because they never even had a look at the "typo3conf" folder.
>
> The log is not for normal users

So it should be disable by default.

>> It is always a risk when using third party extensions. They could
>> contain errors or be a security risk. And everyone knows that.
>> The same goes for TypoScript. I you write wrong things, there can be an
>> error. So what?
>
> You know that you are mixing things up, right? Of course there is always
> a risk by third party extensions but it is about the core! Deprecation
> log is about the core and not about anything else.

If it is only about the core, then core devs should make sure that the
core doesn't use deprecated stuff, right?

>> But what about limiting the space consumption of this file? Maybe allow
>> only 200 entries in the file itself so that it stays rather small. Would
>> that be a solution?
>
> IMO absolutly.
> Make it max 10mb or 20mb. This should be really no problem at all.

OK, if this is the way to come to a compromise, then I will have a look
and provide a patch.

Regards,
Reinhard