[TYPO3-core] RFC: #15573: Disable deprecation log in config_default

Georg Ringer mail at ringerge.org
Fri Aug 27 12:14:50 CEST 2010

Am 27.08.2010 11:54, schrieb Reinhard Führicht:
> - If it is a third party extension one can try to contact the author.
> You know yourself how difficult this is sometimes to reach someone and
> to make him fix something.

Still it is better to know that there is an issue which needs to be
taken care of instead of not knowing. It also gives you the chance of
using a search engine, fix it yourself or ask someone else.

> - If it is your own extension you probably know how to use a devlog
> extension and it would be more convenient to do deprecation logging there.

Deprecation log is the first place I am looking

> Normal users may not even be aware of the fact that a deprecation log
> exists because they never even had a look at the "typo3conf" folder.

The log is not for normal users

> Editors and site admins doing extension stuff and configuration in the
> backend only, will notice the deprecation log at the moment when their
> webspace quota is full.

IMO there is a notice if the file is too big but yes this can be
improved for sure.

> The are also deprecation warnings in PHP and competent developers may
> know about which functions to use. If they don't they will have to face
> the fact, that PHP will die with a fatal error. So what?

Sure, other things get deprecated too but it is about TYPO3 for now ;)
People tend to update their TYPO3 very fast. One reason is that TYPO3 is
known to be compatible to new versions very well. Therefore the log is
really necessary to know if there are issues to be solved *before* updating.

> It is always a risk when using third party extensions. They could
> contain errors or be a security risk. And everyone knows that.
> The same goes for TypoScript. I you write wrong things, there can be an
> error. So what?

You know that you are mixing things up, right? Of course there is always
a risk by third party extensions but it is about the core! Deprecation
log is about the core and not about anything else.

> Who needs a deprecation log file consuming an unlimited amount of
> webspace? I really don't understand it?

Everybody who wants to be able to update without a risk. This includes
developers and website owners.

> But what about limiting the space consumption of this file? Maybe allow
> only 200 entries in the file itself so that it stays rather small. Would
> that be a solution?

IMO absolutly.
Make it max 10mb or 20mb. This should be really no problem at all.

Georg