[TYPO3-core] RFC: #14201: getBrowserInfo delivers wrong info

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Apr 28 13:15:38 CEST 2010

Steffen Kamper schrieb am 28.04.2010 12:19:
> Hi Ernesto,
>
> i don't want to fight for this, but there is a contra-productive in
> this. Which site will break? Where is the idea of bringing high quality
> with TYPO3 and not fixing wrong things in stable branches? Where is the
> idea of being Enterprise and being so strict with policies that doesn't
> effort clients?
>
> Just some questions raising up to be asked each of us.

Fixing buggy things is ok, as long as you can guarantee that no one is
wrongly affected.

You know our "backwards compatibility cow", which is even more strict in
the frontend! The site the customers runs with TYPO3 is his "public
appearance". We in the core are known to work hard not to break sites on
updates. And we *insist* on people doing minor upgrades, because of the
security fixes. We already have loosened the "compatibility cow" a bit
(since 4.0), allowing major upgrades to change stuff, which is
sensitive, but always providing the "upgrade wizard" hints to the one
that upgrades.

In this particular case, one might have used the "netscape" string to
differenciate "regular browser" from "spiders", for example [browser !=
"netscape"] => broken after the minor upgrade.

Cheers,
Ernesto