[TYPO3-core] RFC #12908: Bug: wrong distance between image rows [css styled content]

Helmut Hummel helmut at typo3.org
Sat Apr 24 19:10:28 CEST 2010

Hi,

On 22.04.10 16:12, Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
> Susanne Moog schrieb am 22.04.2010 11:55:
>
>> That would mean that we are not allowed to fix any css bugs for older
>> CSS Styled Content versions. I mean, yes, fixing a bug can be considered
>> changing behavior because it certainly should behave not buggy
>> afterward... We can agree that CSS bugs are not considered "real" bugs
>> and therefore not fixed in minor versions, but then we have to clearly
>> communicate it that way, in the bug tracker, in the manual, I don't
>> know... Don't get me wrong, I understand your concern, but I still think
>> it is hard to communicate.
>
> Or course we never intentionally want to add a regression bug in another
> fix, but in the case of CSS hacks being applied in the frontend, I can
> imagine that almost every change will make the one or another site
> behave differently. You cannot test it all, even if in "your site" it
> works on all browsers in the world. There are tons of side effects that
> are caused by site specific CSS that one cannot predict.

Of course fixing a bug will lead to a different behaviour and not
wanting the latter would mean not fixing anything.

However fixing CSS is a bit different than fixing other bugs.

In this very case, the visual impression of the rendering of multiple
images changes vastly (see my other post and the proposed followup)
after the fix.

Altough it is technically correct, I bet that most (if not all) TYPO3
integrators simply worked around this "bug" (by setting the rowSpace
constant accordingly).

And all this would happen after an upgrade of a minor release (4.3.3 to
4.3.4). This is wrong and I fully agree with Ernesto here.

> So regarding css_styled_content's default "CSS" I am for this rule:
>
> - no CSS changes for the frontend in minor versions updates,
> - CSS fixes and tweaks only in trunk and only on the main setup.txt. Old
> "vX.Y/setup.txt" always remain untouched.
> - compatVersion information on upgrade stating what has changed, so that
> the user can specifically check if he is affected if he installs the new
> setup.txt from the new major release after the upgrade.
>
> As we only provide default CSS for "Text with images", this is the only
> "beast" where this rules apply for now. And I doubt that we will provide
> default CSS for other elements in future in CSC.
>
> If someone needs a specific fix "backported" to an older version, the
> bug report can add instructions on how to add them (usually some
> TypoScript lines to add to your main template).

+1

Regards Helmut