[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug #13471: List module eats up tons of memory if displaying records with many references

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 10:13:53 CEST 2010

Hi!

Christian Kuhn wrote:
> Problem:
> The list module is very wasteful with memory if handling rows with many
> references. It loads a SELECT * from sys_refindex for every displayed
> row of a table to a local class array, just to show a count() and a
> cropped title tag of the gathered data.
>
> Solution:
> - Introduce a new method with a db query to get and store counts of
> referenced records in a local array.
> - Introduce a new method to fetch referenced records from db as long as
> crop length for title tag has not been reached, stop then and free query
> result.
> - Use new methods within the list module and deprecate old code.

I have a different offer: just show the counter and forget the tooltip with
all that data. I am curious: did anybody use that tooltip often? :) May be
we can git rid of it completely to simplify the code, lower memory
consumption dramatically and speed up the whole thing. In my List module
usage I sometimes glance at the number but never hover  my mouse to see any
info.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 expert / TYPO3 security team member