[TYPO3-core] RFC: #14097: Preview in BE opens Workspace-preview

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Wed Apr 14 03:18:52 CEST 2010

Hey.

Steffen Kamper wrote:
> Solution: When using workspace selector, change the setting dynamic. Use
> the correct var and the correct comparison.
> Splitted in inWorkspace and workspaceFrontendPreviewEnabled, so the
> workspace preview is enabled only if you are in any workspace and have
> the preview enabled.

Prerequisite:
- ext:version is installed

Settings involved:
- Current workspace selection in the toolbar workspace menu
- Setting of "Enable Frontend Preview" in the toolbar workspace menu

a) Current behavior:
1. As soon as ext:version is installed, "View / Show" in BE always opens
the workspace preview (typo3/mod/user/ws/wsol_preview.php?id=123),
regardless of the current workspace selection or "Enable Frontend
Preview" setting.
2. If in live workspace, the dochheader in the workspace preview shows
two drop-downs, that don't have any effect on the displayed preview
versions, always two "live" versions are shown. You must switch in BE to
some other workspace, to see a live and a workspace version in workspace
preview (?).

b) With patch:
1. If in Live workspace, "View / Show" always opens the usual FE view
(index.php?id=123), regardless of the "Enable Frontend Preview" setting.
2. If not in Live workspace, either the usual FE view is shown, or the
workspace preview, depending on the "Enable Frontend Preview" setting.

The behavior with patch is better, especially if workspace itself is not
used for a site, but just the versioning of records is needed. +1 on
testing for that. But I'm very untrained in ws issues, so don't count
this vote as a core-devs +1, I'd like to have a full review from another
core-dev with more workspace experience.

It might be better to open the ws-preview in live-workspace depending on
selection of "Enable Frontend Preview". Even if the ws-preview of live
workspace doesn't make much sense to me with its current behavior. Did I
missed something, could someone enlighten me in this regard?

BTW @Steffen: If this is a regression in trunk, do you know which change
introduced this?

Regards
Christian