[TYPO3-core] RFC #13998: Introduce Automatic versioning of CSS and JS files

Lars Houmark lars at houmark.com
Tue Apr 13 22:11:46 CEST 2010

Hi Oliver,

> <rant>
> People, don't you run the unit tests when you change things to make sure
> you don't break anything? That's what the tests are for.
>
> I find this really annoying. Usually, the person writing a patch (or the
> person checking in a patch) should make sure that the patch doesn't
> break any tests, and if it does, fix the patch (or modify the tests).
> And if a checkin breaks the tests, it's their responsibility to fix the
> tests as soon as possible sp a "green bar" means "I can use the tests to
> test that my changes don't break anything" again.
> </rant>

Please explain me a safe way of unit testing for this particular
problem and error. How can I create a test, that will catch this
particular problem with a rather bad implementation of a JS include in
this one place? Please enlighten me...

There is not even a safe API for all include types (in particular CSS)
and most mods (including phpunit, hehe) does not include CSS correctly
for the core to pick up the rendering of the include (so no version
numbering on those files), so maybe we should focus on having this
improved first.

> Anyway:
>
> The environment in which the tests are run are usually quite
> well-defined. So a (maybe simpler) regexp should do the trick.
>
> Ernesto, Lars, will you take care of this?

See above.

--
Lars Houmark