[TYPO3-core] RFC: #13953: Hookrequest - t3lib_page::getRecordOverlay

Tolleiv.Nietsch info at tolleiv.de
Sat Apr 10 11:29:49 CEST 2010

Am 10.04.2010 08:13, schrieb Jigal van Hemert:

> IMO translation handling is core business for a CMS. The changes involve
> many parts of the core. The core should be as light weight as possible
> (in terms of performance), but all the hook requests already mean extra
> code, even if the extension is not installed.
> A few more extensions like this and every other line of code in some
> parts of the core is a hook call ;-)
>
> Wouldn't it be better to implement these features in the core?
> Especially if they can be built in a way which has very little impact to
> existing code in terms of performance.

You're kind of right - actually imho the languagevisibility featureset
would mean a big improvement for the Core in regards to language
handling and language fallbacks. But due to the fact that important
l10n-related patches usually take weeks or months to get their first
review -- while new shiny ExtJS features/effects are passed through
within hours or few days --  I can't really see this happening. And
that's why I'm asking to get the hooks integrated.

In addition the amount of request hooks you saw from me is very high
because I'm asking to get hooks for two extensions at the same time -
templavoila and languagevisibility. In some cases (2 or 3) they would
make use of the same hooks for different purposes.

 From my perspective all the hooks I requested make sense for more than
just one extension and usually all the hook-calls are prepended with a
"is_array()" check which usually wouldn't take away too much performance
if it fails. If the "is_array()" is too slow for you I'd be happy to
provide new patch versions with an additional "isset()"  before the
"is_array()" this would finally mean nearly no performance decrease if
there's no extensions registered.

Looking forward to getting more feedback on that.

Cheers,
Tolleiv
--
Tolleiv Nietsch