[TYPO3-core] RFC #11811: Raise versions and states of sysexts (stable <-> 1.0.0)

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 15:31:59 CEST 2010

Hi!

Francois Suter wrote:
> We can certainly do that for 4.4 even. There's just one sysext for which
> I don't agree and that's tsconfig_help. It's the kind of stuff that was
> never finished and I really feel that it doesn't work in satisfactory way.
>
> I worked on it a long time ago and have always in a corner of my mind a
> list if improvements, but I never take the time for it as I'm not really
> motivated for that...
>
> Maybe we should consider moving it out of the core altogether. I'll
> start a thread in typo3.projects.v4 about this.

Let's move it out. But I think we should give it 1.0.0 because it is used like this for ages. Then it can be improved and get a higher version.

One issue with this is that we could break upgrades. If this sysext was loaded, sites will not work when core symlink is replaced because the extension will be missing. I see several options:
- keep empty tsconfig_help as a sysext (just ext_emconf.php and ext_icon.gif) => bad because people may wonder why it is installed but no help shown
- make a special workaround in 4.4&4.5 only to look for this key and silently return if it is not there
- mention it in the NEWS.txt only

#1 is the easiest for everybody, #2 is the most friendly, #3 is easiest for developers and will force people to get the real ext if they use it. I'd vote for #3.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 expert / TYPO3 security team member