[TYPO3-core] RFC #13998: Introduce Automatic versioning of CSS and JS files

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Sun Apr 4 09:12:10 CEST 2010

Lars Houmark wrote:
> This is an SVN patch request (my first, be nice ;)).

Maybe we should be nice anyway?

$file = (TYPO3_MODE == 'BE' ?
t3lib_div::createVersionNumberedFile($file) : $file);

I see this more and more in code (and I tend to use it myself also; lazy
typist), but this morning I decided to run a benchmark:

$var = (1 == 0) ? 1 : $var;
versus
if (1 == 0) {
	$var = 1;
}
(and also for 1 == 1)

if the condition is true the ternary operator is not significantly
slower than the if (about 5%), but if the condition is false then the
ternary operator is 30-40% slower than the if (not surprisingly).

Using the if will make the FE slightly less slower when all the ternary
operators with no functional else-part for this BE check are replaced
with an if-statement.

It also makes code more readable and you are more likely to meet the
insane 80-characters line length rule in CGL (the editing area on my
screen is > 250 chars wide...)

Other than this:

+1 by reading (and for the idea to help the caching problems in BE)

--
Jigal van Hemert.