[TYPO3-core] RFC: #12031: Fields alias & content_from_pid are missing in exludelist

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Thu Sep 24 10:27:18 CEST 2009

Georg Ringer schrieb:
> Hi,
>> As Masi already pointed out, this change will have negative side-effects
>> concerning backwards compatibility.
>
> but isnt that with so many things? And there is nothing broken, there
> are no no extra fields displayed but the only thing which can or will
> happen is that the 2 fields are not shown again. It is even not that
> other way round that an editor sees more than before updating!
>

>> everything has to be
>> checked then when upgrading to TYPO3 4.3 or any later version.
>
> but this is the case with every update and everything, especially with
> so many changes in 4.3?
>
> The new login styling has broken my extension chloginskin because there
> are new classes and ids and even a new concept! Nobody asked ;)
>
>> Thus: -1 for this change
>
> I still fully understand your concerns  and I can live with it but I am
> certainly not happy with it because there are not only the ones who
> update but also the ones who begin with 4.3. or 4.3.2 or 4.4. and IMO it
> makes just very little sense telling those "ah yeah every field can be
> disabeld in the be_groups but just not these 2 but you need to
> understand - historical reasons" .......

This is why Masi suggested you to write an update-script. I have no
problem with the outcome you suggest, but for the upgrade we cannot
simply hide fields which weren't hidden before. This requires the admin
to manually modify all ACL's he might have created, this is error prone.
This has to be done by the upgrade wizard (add both fields as "allowed"
to all existing ACLs, if user has write-permissions on pages table).

So if you provide such an upgrade wizard, your change will probably be
accepted.

About your be-login-skin ext, I have no real inside on that matter. But
I guess there was no real API that said in the core that the login
screen is "skinnable". So while it is sad that your extension no longer
works, it probably wasn't supposed to be used like that anyway.

Cheers,
Ernesto