[TYPO3-core] RFC #9355: Add an error and exception handler (backported from FLOW3)

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 16:55:30 CEST 2009

Hi!

Steffen Gebert wrote:
> I had only a quick look, but I'm against hardcoded error templates and
> messages.
> Is there a way to override default message/template? What's with
> pageUnnavailable_handling?
> Error messages should also meet a site's CI!
>
> Also I don't understand, why a visitor gets a link to typo3.org. IMHO
> he/she should only get "someting's not working. come again later" ;-)

I agree. It will be hard to explain to the customer why his "www.best-info-portal.com" with PR=9 suddenly promotes typo3.org. Could you imagine such thing on a Cisco, Dassault or AirFrance web site? The argument that anyone can write another handler is very bad because "anyone" means "everyone" in this context: everyone will have to do it.

If the exception handler is provided, it must be a handler usable by everyone without any modification (except the HTML template), not an automatic backport that somewhat works. (I never liked automatic backports!)

Yes, I know, I fully deserve "move you a$$ and do better" response. This is completely true. But I can't do better at the moment. I hope to start moving my a$$ soon. Next month, may be. I think we should wait until a really good solution appears. Should we discuss it in 4.3 list using Ingo's implementation as a starting point?

--
Dmitry Dulepov
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/dmitryd