[TYPO3-core] Flash messages in TYPO3v4, Extbase and FLOW3

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Oct 9 09:21:31 CEST 2009

Hi,

we now have a nice API for flash messages in the TYPO3. Thanks Ingo for
bringing us this stuff and Rupi for finishing it up!

Currently the "messageQueue" is very Backend-oriented because it uses
the BE-session and renders using T3-Skin styles.

Now in Extbase we also have a "FlashMessages"
(Tx_Extbase_MVC_Controller_FlashMessages) which implements the FLOW3
backport of the idea. It is the same concept but with some differences:

- flash messages are only "strings" (no title, severity, etc)
- they are always stored in the session
- work in BE (BE_USER->uc) and in FE (fe_user->get/setKey)
- rendering is not part of the API, so anyone needs to implement their
own rendering
- Fluid has a View-Helper to render these messages (as a simple list of
<li>...</li>'s)

The next step for the extbase + fluid guys would probably be to make use
of our t3lib_FlashMessages and the t3lib_MessageQueue.

The main "problem" with this is that we are moving forward in a
direction that is not FLOW3 upwards compatible anymore. So either our
improvements get adopted in FLOW3, or we "stop here" and keep Extbase
with the FLOW3-compatible flash messages approach.

As I would love to use severities in FE-extensions for flash messages as
well, but also would like to make that in Extbase-based FE-extensions,
it would be cool if we could have the same functionality in Extbase as
we have in the Core now, or even make use of the Core system in Extbase.

Ideas?

Cheers,
Ernesto