[TYPO3-core] [TYPO3-project-4-3] Re: RFC #12130: Improve performance of flashmessages

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Oct 7 22:58:16 CEST 2009

Martin Kutschker schrieb:

>>> So I see no real reason to remove this feature just because some folks
>>> won't need it.
>> well, you call it feature - I call it bug.
>
> This is getting near to the point were one of you will insult the other.

As Rupi said, we don't do it in public. ;)

> Rupert, don't get obsessed with the performance issue. I can see use cases where I want to pass
> around messages from one HTTP request to the other. And I can see other cases where this is not
> needed at all.

True.

> I don't know if it makes more sense to use the same API for both cases or to have two disticnt APIs.
> But please take this discussion away from the Core list.

Also true, but still this issue is about the original patch "improve
performance of flash messages". I hadn't liked to have the performance
benefit be added by changing the feature. As this is a new concept in
the core, it for sure has to be discussed more first, the
typo3_4.3.general list is probably best place.

> Those who have added flash messages to the Core should declare if the session persistence was one of
> the design goals. Then we can decide what to do with this patch.

I guess Ingo is currently not around to discuss it with us. As far as I
understood the original version Ingo commited (#11684) was based on
FLOW3's flash messaging concept, where FlashMessageContainer is in scope
"session". So I consider this to be "by design".

As we have different contextes already for flash messages, it should as
well be possible to differenciate between flash messages we want to
persist in session and the once we just need on the current request
(like the PHP warning stuff).

Cheers,
Ernesto