[TYPO3-core] RFC #12130: Improve performance of flashmessages

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Oct 7 16:22:14 CEST 2009

Rupert Germann schrieb:
> Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] schrieb:
>> But after the redirect, you might still want to display the message
>> "Record deleted" or "Record updated" or even a list of errors while
>> deleting / saving. This is where you need to carry the flash message
>> from one hit (POST) to the next one (redirected GET).
>
> absolutely hypthetic.
> currently something like this is not used in the core at all. If
> something bad happens which causes a message (currently only used in
> tcemain) the user gets a page with only the error message(s) and a
> "continue" button.
> I don't see a reason why we should change this behaviour.
> There's no problem to render the tcemain messages with the flashmessage
> API (have a look at http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=12138)
>
> Or what did I overlook? ;-)

It is hypothetic for you, but I have used that method for ages and will
continue to do so. Many others also use it as it is a well known design
pattern, which can be used in backend modules. Currently every one
implements their own "flash messages" that transmit information from one
request to the other. Extbase also has its "flash messages" which
persist in the session.

So I see no real reason to remove this feature just because some folks
won't need it.

A compromise would be to have flash messages only persist in the session
if the message is "tagged" as such. That way we could have "blazing
fast" flash messages for a single request (storing them in a static
variable, as you did) but still have a way to have certain flash
messages to survive the request (storing them in the BE-user session).

Cheers,
Ernesto