[TYPO3-core] RFC #12130: Improve performance of flashmessages

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Tue Oct 6 20:41:17 CEST 2009

Hi Steffen,

>>> But I currently don't see where this could be needed. Can someone
>>> give me an example where this could happen?
>>
>> Francois had a real-world example if I understood him right.
>>
>>> How would such an ajax flashmessage be displayed? where?
>>
>> Not yet 100% implemented but example in EXT:mvc_exjs_samples.
>>

> just to mention, i also thought this and discussed it with Rupi.
>
> Every Ajax call has his own instance. So if an error happens or
> something else to be reported, the Ajax instance has to be the one
> displaying it. As the page isn't reloaded, the request has to push the
> message into DOM. So Rupi is right, there is no need or possibility for
> the main instance to render flashmessages from the requests.
>
> Mostly an ExtJS App has his own ways to report like Tooltips or
> Messageboxes.

Well, I thought of some timed-based process that would inquery about "server" status and thus show messages.

If you think of how ExtJS-based modules are done, the idea is to provide a framework for extensions with toolbar and the rest, meaning the extension should not have to worry about how flash message
are rendered, this is done by the ExtJS framework. If you want AJAX to push messages to DOM, then it implies that the ExtJS framework should provide an API for making AJAX request, intercept such
flash messages and then clean-up the response and send it back to the originator module. That sounds a bit complicated to implement, if "possible" at all.

--
Xavier Perseguers
http://xavier.perseguers.ch/en