[TYPO3-core] Alternative patch to RFC #11587: PHP Warnings concerning missing timezone settings under PHP 5.3

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Thu Nov 5 14:33:56 CET 2009

Dmitry Dulepov schrieb:

> Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
>> I think two settigs is misleading to the admin. I prefer only one
>> setting, and have a default (that is not configurable) e.g. "UTC" (which
>> is the PHP default).
>>
>> If one wants to set it, he can either set in php.ini or in the
>> "phpTimeZone" TYPO3 setting.
>>
>> So easier algorithm:
>>
>> Is date_default_timezone_get() empty?
>>     |-> "yes" set "UTC"  (like PHP <5.3 did)
>>     |-> "no" set to "phpTimeZone" (or "UTC" if also empty)
>>
>> And then ship with "phpTimeZone=''" so the user can either force it by
>> setting or leave it empty (in which case PHP defaults apply).
>
> Yes, I would prefer this solution too! But the majority of users would rather
> complain about TYPO3 than about their own inability to read docs and
configure
> their servers properly... :( This is why I proposed two–variable version :)
> It is not ideal (ideal would use GeoIP to determine correct timezone)
> but at least gives some usable settings.

I don't see why users should complain about the setting. If someone sets
it in PHP, it works (leave it empty in TYPO3) if someone cannot set it
in PHP.ini or wants to override it in TYPO3, use the single setting. So
why add the complexity for users to understand two setting for this?

Cheers,
Ernesto