[TYPO3-core] Alternative patch to RFC #11587: PHP Warnings concerning missing timezone settings under PHP 5.3

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 14:26:31 CET 2009

Hi!

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
> I think two settigs is misleading to the admin. I prefer only one
> setting, and have a default (that is not configurable) e.g. "UTC" (which
> is the PHP default).
>
> If one wants to set it, he can either set in php.ini or in the
> "phpTimeZone" TYPO3 setting.
>
> So easier algorithm:
>
> Is date_default_timezone_get() empty?
>     |-> "yes" set "UTC"  (like PHP <5.3 did)
>     |-> "no" set to "phpTimeZone" (or "UTC" if also empty)
>
> And then ship with "phpTimeZone=''" so the user can either force it by
> setting or leave it empty (in which case PHP defaults apply).

Yes, I would prefer this solution too! But the majority of users would rather complain about TYPO3 than about their own inability to read docs and configure their servers properly... :( This is why I proposed two–variable version :) It is not ideal (ideal would use GeoIP to determine correct timezone) but at least gives some usable settings.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/dmitryd