[TYPO3-core] RFC #11177: Feature: New options noRescale and resolutionFactor for getImgResource()

Franz Koch typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de
Mon May 25 10:33:00 CEST 2009

Hi Xavier,

> Me too, I'd very much prefer a dpi setting. There's already a factor
> that we need to set to 96 dpi for ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick in Install
> Tool. But this concept is only used for mapping text size on a screen.
> It has to other meaning as explained below as when we choose a 12pt
> font, it means 12x 1/72 inch and we need a way to map this on a screen.
> This is why Windows invented the concept of 72 dpi, to draw it as a 12
> pixel height character/glyph and Mac OS X uses 96 dpi to draw it as a 16
> pixel height character/glyph.

Windows is now also using 96dpi by default (had a look at my settings on
WinXP pro).

> Now, I would say that in your case, we should use the very same setting
> set in Install Tool to render images.

Not sure about that, because every picture taken with a digital camera
or every image on the web ("or saved for web" f.e. in Photoshop) has a
dpi value of 72. That's the default setting for onscreen graphics
(independent from font-size scaling).

--
kind regards,
Franz Koch