[TYPO3-core] RFC #11177: Feature: New options noRescale and resolutionFactor for getImgResource()

Stefan Geith typo3dev2008.nospam1 at geithware.de
Mon May 25 10:28:42 CEST 2009

Patch v2:

- Now a resolution-parameter is used.
   As IM/GM uses 72dpi by default, the resize-width is caluclated
   by  width = width * resolution / 72
- resolutions below 36dpi will be treated as if no resolution-
   parameter is set
- If no resolution paramter is given, functionality does not
   change: IM/GM renders the requested image-size.
   Note: the resolution that is stored within the jpg-file, will
   always be the same, as in the original file.
- If resolution=72 is set, the image is rendered as before, but
   the resolution that is stored within the jpg-file is set to 72
- for other resolutions, the image is rendered proportionally bigger
   and the resolution that is stored within the jpg-file is set
   to the requested resolution
- if the resolution-parameter would require the image to be
   upscaled, then the original image will be returned, because
   upscaling doesnt make sense.

Franz Koch schrieb:
> sorry, I like the general idea, but I don't like the way it's done. The
> "resolutionFactor" is somewhat odd to me. For me it would make much more
> sense to actually define the dpi (Dots Per Inch), so that based on the
> given width and height and the dpi you can calculate the total
> dimensions (default for screen are 72dpi). Would make much more sense to
> me and could actually be used for print images. By setting this option
> the internal dpi value of the image should also get changed (shouldn't
> be a problem with imageMagick I guess).

OK - see patch.

/Stefan