[TYPO3-core] RFC #11107: Provide more flexible rendering for "text with image"

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Sat May 16 18:49:15 CEST 2009

Hi,

this is a SVN patch request.

Type: feature

Branches: trunk

BT reference: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=11107

Problem:
Since 4.0 we have an "accessible" rendering for Text with image, which
has replaced the "table-based" rendering when css_styled_content is
installed. This works pretty well, but there have been some criticisms:

1) the overhead of the "complex" dl/dt/dd structure if you only want a
single image with no caption

2) the bug 3363, which is caused by a situation that is not being handled

3) the "unlogical" default rendering of a "dl" list even if the images
have no captions (it should be a "ul" in that case).

To cope with those and similar issues that might have appeared for
people in those last years, I have created a mechanism to render_textpic
which can now via TypoScript configuration define special rendering for
those "edge cases".

As a "proof-of-concept" and as a new default for 4.3 I would love to
include typoscript to resolve the 3 issues mentioned above for a
standard installation. It won't affect installations that use "custom"
typoscript. And there is always the "4.2" template that works like it
does now.

The attached patch implements this feature.

How to test:
To test, just create a sample page with some example elements of the
type "text with image". Try out:

- 4 images to the left of some text in two columns
- add some captions to them
- a single image with no caption
- single image with caption

Then try out other global settings:

Set this constant (overwriting the default):
styles.content.imgtext.imageTextSplit = 0

Try out "no rows" checkbox for your elements. Also try out:
styles.content.imgtext.separateRows = 0

Cheers,
Ernesto