[TYPO3-core] RFC #10786: Add a wrapper for mysql_fetch_field in t3lib_db

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Wed May 13 13:15:37 CEST 2009

Hi Masi,

> I didn't say that's impossible at all. But mysql_fetch_field() returns
> the information on the fields of a result set not a table. This is much
> trickier to support in a general manner. I don't think that adding just
> another Mysql wrapper in t3lib_db is the solution for ExtBase's problem.

Well, the functionality needs to be ported to DBAL anyway if ExtBase
should run with it. So it's just a question whether the functionality
belongs into t3lib_db or ExtBase.

Since I would like to keep away any DBM specific code from extensions, I
still think that it makes most sense if it's part of t3lib_db.

> I suggest we discuss possible solutions to the underlying problem before
> we add this function to the Core.

Unfortunately this RFC has come up a little late. However, it seems it's
required to make ExtBase work at all. And actually we would very much
like to commit ExtBase to TYPO3core later today...

I propose that we commit the patch as is, and think about other
solutions later, still before the release of the final version.

In any case it turns out that ExtBase would currently not work with
DBAL, so there must be some solution for this before 4.3 final...

- michael

PS: In order to not forget the list of things that must be done before
4.3 final, I propose to have a TODO.txt in the root of TYPO3core. All
items listed in it must be fixed before 4.3 in any case...
--
Use a newsreader! Check out