[TYPO3-core] RFC #8507: Fileadmin: Setting alt attributes and use the locallang.xml files instead of locallang.php files

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Wed May 13 01:06:43 CEST 2009

Hey Rupert,

Rupert Germann wrote:
> a general question: why is it good to have filled alt-attribs when they are
> only shown if the icon is not found ?
> (which will be only the case in a broken TYPO3 installation)
> the little yellow tooltip is filled by the title attrib.
> or is this different in other browsers?

Several reasons come to my mind. I have no strong reason, but I think
they sum up to a "yes, we should add reasonable alt attributes wherever
possible":
- Most of the other core code adds alt tags to icons, too (consistency)
- An empty alt attribute is generally accepted only for pure decorative
images (well, what is generally accepted?)
- AFAIK IE6 uses the alt attribute for the tooltip (ie6 is still
supported in 4.3)
- Accessibility (well, in the backend ...)
- It's a mandatory attribute anyway, why not fill it with reasonable
information?

The other way round: Why do you think the alt attribute should stay
empty when we have some information we could easily supply here?

Greetings
Christian