[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug #6039: TCA group -> file absolute path without uploadfolder (extended)

Jeff Segars jsegars at alumni.rice.edu
Tue Mar 31 19:17:07 CEST 2009

Steffen Kamper wrote:
> Hi,
>
> two comments on the new internal type file_reference:
>
> 1) the path should be relative to fileadmin-dir, as the file mounts do
> the same. This is what the sense of fileadmin is, container for all files.
>
> 2) The TCEform: Having an upload-field in file_reference doesn't make
> sense, as there is no upload folder, so this has to be omitted.
>
>  From usecase i see the problem, as you may want to let the decision to
> the user if file is uploaded or a reference. So a switch in the form
> beside a file field would be great. I don't know atm how to realize
> without an extra field.

Hey Steffen,
Thanks for the additional work on this patch.  The use case that you
mention highlights the one hesitation I've had about this feature.

In its original form, there was no indication to the user whether a file
would be copied into uploads or just referenced. This means a backend
user has no idea how a particular field will behave until he attempts
the upload and even then it may not be clear.

I definitely see the value in referencing files instead of copying them
(and think this is what new users in TYPO3 expect), but I think we need
to make sure that the user can clearly understand how a field operates
without having to know the details of every extension.

A checkbox where each field can be toggled would be one option.
Additional text prior to the upload could be an option, as could a
different visual layout.  Not sure what the answer is...just trying to
through out some ideas :)

Thanks,
Jeff

ps. Sorry to derail us with discussion again. If this seems to be a
valid point, we can go elsewhere and discuss the specifics.