[TYPO3-core] RFC #9729: Ship optimal TYPO3 configuration by default

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Thu Mar 12 06:29:28 CET 2009

Hi again!

Clemens Riccabona wrote:
> This is a problem, yes, but keep in mind: Too much .htaccesses will cause a
> slowdown of apache (and most likely any other webserver software).

Before we start holy wars on this topic, I want to clarify my position in this area:
- when I do performance optimization services for customers, I always recommend using Apache configuration instead of .htaccess. Apache configuration is parsed only once, while .htaccess is parsed always.
- I tested .htaccess vs Apache configuration on two different servers with absolutely different hardware, both russing SuSE Linux and mirrored RAID. I could not notice any stable difference in:
	- request rate
	- response times
	- server CPU load
	- amount of RAM used by Apache
- I strongly believe that all information on the Internet is written by people and it must not be treated as absolute truth. It is not. There is a lot of wrong information out there. Read this if you do not trust me: http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2009/03/01/kiss-kiss-kiss/. This is my favorite article on similar subject. Only one quote: "I’m just suggesting do not just grab advice from the Internet or friends tip and do not complicate beyond the need". That's it.
- Things change over time. I would not trust any articles published more than a year ago. It was meant for different software and hardware. Linux file systems were nighmares in performance two or three years ago (stat() could take seconds!). Now they are super fast but people still have old superstitions because these people read obsolete information. Linux RAIDs (mdraid devices) were noticeably slower than hardware RAIDs, now they are comparable in speed (just a little slower). Be better! Think, analyze, make your own conclusions! Do not trust blindly to anyone. You not in the university, it is real life!

Despite of points above I still recommend to use Apache configuration and not .htaccess. Why? Just because it is more optimal (single parsing vs multiple). Not noticable by the eye but more optimal. A tiny bit here, a tiny bit there gives a boost in performance.

> Just my 0.5cents

Extra 1 cent from me :)

--
Dmitry Dulepov