[TYPO3-core] RFC #9729: Ship optimal TYPO3 configuration by default

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Thu Mar 12 04:38:54 CET 2009

Hi!

Clemens Riccabona wrote:
> But if we turn off indexing for every this and that, and then, someone has
> the idea with denying access for specific filetypes via htaccess, again for
> every this and that, you will end up with an htaccess in every single
> directory, with several commandos, which normally should be configured
> within the webservers default configuration.

Why so complicated? Just put a single .htaccess in the fileadmin/ with all directives in it.

> it was on a server with about 100 independent t3-installations, and more
> than 100k fe-users a day (awstats, which sometimes counts bots also as
> users). (apache2 on an openSuSE 9.3 AFAIR)

Number of fe_users alone says nothing at all. It will be a number of page views that matters. I have several .htaccesses on a TYPO3 web site, which gets half a million page views daily (according to Google Analytics, which does register every page view). No real difference in server load or speed (according to Apache logs) if I use .htaccess or Apache configuration.

This is real life experience with real figures that matter.

> Most sources for performance optimization of apache have a similar advice
> in.
> e.g.: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/misc/perf-tuning.html
> The information provided in this article actually tells ME, to keep my
> AllowOverride directive as slim as possible
> (which it is now for years), and even the DirectoryIndex directive.

Do not believe everything that you read without thinking :) That Apache article was written ages ago, may be in the middle of 90th and it goes from version to version without change. But things change and a lot. I optimize web sites performance at least monthly. I do it for years now. So I know what I am talking about :)

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team