[TYPO3-core] RFC Bug #11251: Use InnoDB for user/group tables

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 30 17:09:30 CEST 2009

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> Michael Stucki schrieb:
>> I think we don't need that. It should be used whenever it makes sense,
>> and be avoided whenever it does not. Tables that change very often
>> should therefore not use InnoDB but stick with MyISAM.
>
> Using InnoDB isn't bad, but the database/sytsem admin has to be aware
> that it's not a care free table type.

Both InnoDB and MyISAM are not care free. InnoDB has no more problems
with tables that change often than MyISAM. When the table layout changes
both have their particulars with rebuilding tables and indexes.

MyISAM tables should be checked and optimized regularly to keep them
healthy and keep the cardinality data up-to-date (which is used for
optimizing queries inside MySQL).

Designing tables is no trivial task in both InnoDB and MyISAM if you
want the most performance out of the least storage space.

Generally speaking InnoDB tables have a constant speed, rather
independent from their size (until memory limitations become an issue)
and they are the table type of choice in high concurrency situations.

With large databases it can become a problem to have enough memory for
both MyISAM and InnoDB buffers, etc. So a choice for a single type
(except for MySQL's internal tables) can in fact be justified in these
circumstances.

Regards,

--
Jigal van Hemert.